Low Calorie Air Fryer Blooming Onion Recipe (Weight Watchers Friendly)
Low Calorie Air Fryer Blooming Onion Recipe (Weight Watchers Friendly). You can enjoy a crispy and delicious appetizer, side dish, or snack without feeling guilty.
This recipe is perfect for those who love the classic blooming onion but don’t want to use all of that oil. By cooking it in the air fryer, you’ll get the same crispy texture you love, without deep-frying. The recipe uses simple ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen.
Serve it up with a tangy dipping sauce and enjoy the deliciousness.
So why not give this recipe a try? It’s a perfect snack for game day or a movie night at home, and it’s sure to be a hit with friends and family.
Weight Watchers Points
2 Points (2022/2023 Plan)
MyWW Points: 2 Blue Plan and 3 Green Plan
2 WW Freestyle Points and 3 Smart Points
Need to make more or fewer servings?
On Desktop, hover over “Servings” # and move the slider to desired number of servings.
Low Calorie Air Fryer Blooming Onion (Weight Watchers Friendly)
- 1 large onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder divided
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon water
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup yellow cornmeal
- 5 sprays nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoon light Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon horseradish
- Begin by preparing the onion. Cut a very small piece off the root and stem ends, and remove the skin from the onion.
- Put the onion on a cutting board, with the stem side facing up. Cut the onion into quarters, but make sure to stop about ¾ of an inch from the bottom so that the onion remains whole.
- Cut each quarter into thirds, again stopping about ¾ of an inch from the bottom.
- In a small bowl, mix together flour, garlic powder, salt, and paprika. In a separate bowl, whisk together water and egg.
- Put the onion in a shallow bowl, and sprinkle it with the flour mixture. Gently separate the onion wedges to coat all surfaces. Shake off any excess flour and put it in a separate bowl.
- Stir cornmeal into the flour mixture that you set aside earlier. Put the onion back in the shallow bowl and brush all surfaces evenly with the egg mixture. Sprinkle with the flour-cornmeal mixture, making sure all surfaces are coated.
- If your air fryer needs preheating, do so now to 375°F. Spray the air fryer basket with nonstick spray.
- Carefully place the onion in the basket and spray it generously with nonstick spray. Air-fry until the breading is crispy and the onion is tender, which should take around 15-18 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, make the sauce by mixing together yogurt, mayonnaise, horseradish, ketchup, and the remaining ½ tsp of garlic powder.
- Serve it with the sauce.
You May Also Like:
- Weight Watchers Classic Ginger Cookies
- Weight Watchers Turkish Lentil Soup
- Weight Watchers Cinnamon Sweet Potato Fries
- Weight Watchers Raspberry Thumbprint Cookies
- 10 Weight Watchers Hot Chocolate Recipes
Need an easy way to portion your serving sizes? Check out this Portion Control Serving Utensil Set.
It comes with 2, 4, 6, and 8 ounce ladles. The perfect way to stay on plan!