Weight Watchers Chipotle Shredded Chicken Taco Filling Recipe (Chicken Tinga)
Weight Watchers Chipotle Shredded Chicken Taco Filling Recipe (Chicken Tinga). Packed with flavor and easy to make, it’s a surefire hit for both weeknight dinners and special gatherings.
The heart of this dish lies in tender boneless, skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with a touch of kosher salt.
Cooked to perfection in olive oil until it’s beautifully browned, the chicken becomes the perfect canvas for a medley of mouthwatering ingredients.
Red onions and garlic lend their aromatic essence, while diced tomatoes and minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce add a delightful burst of smoky spice. A dash of ground cumin elevates the taste profile, taking your taste buds on an exciting journey.
To bring it all together, a splash of chicken broth harmonizes the flavors, creating a luscious sauce that envelops the shredded chicken.
Adding a touch of freshness, we tie together the stems of fresh cilantro and let them infuse their herbal goodness throughout the cooking process. The cilantro leaves, chopped to perfection, are then mingled with the succulent chicken, providing a burst of color and a final layer of flavor.
But what can you serve with this scrumptious Chicken Tinga? The options are endless!
Spoon it into warm tortillas and garnish with your favorite toppings like shredded lettuce, diced avocado, and a dollop of Greek yogurt for a tangy twist.
Or try it as a filling for enchiladas, topping it with melty cheese before baking to perfection.
Looking for some tips and tricks to make the most of this recipe?
Adjust the spice level by adding more or less chipotle peppers.
Also, you can double the batch and freeze the leftovers for a quick and satisfying meal on busy days.
Weight Watchers Points
1 Point (2022/2023 Plan)
MyWW Points: 1 Blue Plan and 2 Green Plan
We add new recipes almost every day, so check back often!
We are not affiliated with Weight Watchers/WW in any way. Please consult a doctor before changing your eating habits.
Double check points on the official calculator.
Affiliate Disclosure: Some links may be affiliate links where I make a small commission if you purchase anything after clicking a link. There is no additional cost to you. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Love wine? Check out this cute wine glass! The Weight Watchers Points Stemless Wine Glass. 3 Points, 5 Points, Who Cares?
Fun but practical! Measurements are at 4 ounces, 7 ounces, and 10 ounces. Don’t forget to convert the points to your WW Personal Points for your individual plan.
If you’re interested in seeing the tools and equipment we use in our kitchen, we have them posted here.
Need to make more or fewer servings?
On Desktop, hover over “Servings” # and move the slider to desired number of servings.
Weight Watchers Chipotle Shredded Chicken Taco Filling (Chicken Tinga)
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- kosher salt to taste
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 can (14½ oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 6 sprigs fresh cilantro tough stems and leaves separated
- Place oil in a large pot and heat it on the stove over medium-high heat.
- Sprinkle salt on both sides of the chicken.
- Put the chicken in the hot oil and cook it until it turns brown on both sides, which should take about 8 minutes. If you have a lot of chicken, you might need to cook it in batches.
- Stir in the onion, garlic, tomatoes (including the juice), chipotle, cumin, and broth (or water).
- Take a piece of kitchen twine and use it to tie the stems of the cilantro together. Put the tied cilantro in the pot.
- Let the mixture come to a boil and then turn the heat down to low. Cover the pot and let it simmer for about 45 minutes until the chicken becomes really tender. Turn the chicken over halfway through the cooking time.
- Remove and throw away the tied cilantro stems.
- Use tongs or two forks to pull apart the chicken into small pieces directly in the sauce.
- Chop the cilantro leaves into small pieces and mix them in with the chicken.
- Taste and add a little bit of salt, around ¼ teaspoon, if needed.
- Serve the chicken immediately.
You May Also Like:
- 21 Weight Watchers Chicken and Rice Recipes
- Quick Weight Watchers Veggie Burger
- Weight Watchers Chicken Casserole Recipes
- Best Weight Watchers Salmon Recipes
- 21 Weight Watchers Chicken Stir-Fry Recipes
Need an easy way to portion your serving sizes? Check out this Portion Control Serving Utensil Set.
It comes with 2, 4, 6, and 8 ounce ladles. The perfect way to stay on plan!